3 June 2010The most watched sporting event on the globe requires a world-class broadcast solution, and the opening of South Africa’s International Broadcast Centre has provided just that.“I am confident that the coverage and images from South Africa will be the most advanced and will reach and be enjoyed by more people than ever before in the history of the tournament,” Fifa president Sepp Blatter said at the opening of the International Broadcast Centre (IBC) in Johannesburg on Wednesday.“Football and television is something that goes together like a great story. You [the broadcasters] need a spectacular, you need emotion, and you need a show. And this is what football is offering you.”Situated in a 30 000 square metre compound at the Nasrec Expo Centre, just a few hundred metres from Soccer City stadium, hundreds of broadcasters from around the world are preparing to beam the story of Africa’s first Fifa World Cup from the IBC to an expected cumulative television audience of over 26-billion.And although they are all there to work, there is a distinct sense of national pride among the broadcasters, who represent a total of 70 countries, gathered at the IBC – with national flags waving from desks and trucks in support of their respective teams during the month-long tournament.Francisco Sagredo, general editor for the World Cup for TVN Chile, and his team are just one of the many who are setting up at the IBC. The 25-strong team will be broadcasting back to Chile from 09h00 until 04h00 every day, and will be ready for full operation within the next few days.ITV England, with a crew of 200 people, has one of the best views in the house. “We are delighted to have a studio overlooking Soccer City – it is magnificent,” said one of the production managers. They will be broadcasting all matches and running 24 hours a day for the World Cup, and will also be running six football-related shows a day for the duration of the tournament.Having experienced six World Cups previously, Operations Director for Televisa Mexico, Elias Rodriguez, and his 210-strong crew are more than confident about their role in the World Cup. “Our team and the IBC are ready for this,” he said.Source: 2010 Fifa World Cup South Africa Organising Committee
Private enterprises can help halt the scourge of Ebola affecting some parts of East Africa by making cash or in-kind donations to the Ebola Response Fund.A Department of Health initiative, the Fund has set a goal of raising R250 million to coordinate and manage relief assistance for the affected countries, primarily in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.Donations will be used in the following areas:Setting up a 40-bed Ebola treatment unit in Sierra LeoneProvision of qualified people to staff the treatment unitStrengthening of the surveillance system and databaseSupporting social mobilisation efforts in the communities in affected countriesExpanding laboratory capacity, andProject managementAlready, a number of major companies listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange have pledged support to the Ebola Response Fund. The pledges were made during a meeting convened by the Department of Health’s Director-General Malebona Matsoso on 19 September 2014 at the JSE.During the meeting, Matsoso said a pledge to donate money to the Ebola Response Fund will go a long way in helping Africa tackle the social and humanitarian crisis. The South African Government has already committed R32.5 million.“We are counting on South Africa’s private sector to actively support this attempt to stop the spread of the Ebola virus across the continent. We believe that corporate South Africa will respond positively to this clarion call to assist the affected countries,’ she said.The department is also working with the World Health Organisation to coordinate and harmonise support for the response to the Ebola outbreak which has claimed over 2 600 people as of 18 September 2014.Matsoso said that contributions in cash or in kind to the Ebola Response Fund will be managed by the University of the Witwatersrand (Faculty of Health Sciences and Right to Care) in partnership with the Department of Health.Companies wishing to donate are asked to contact Dr Barry Kistnasamy at 082 806 7210 or email [email protected]
A Tigerair Boeing 737. Photo: Bidgee CC-BY-SA/Wikicommons faith and it looked fporaTravelers on Tigerair Australia could face pre-Christmas disruption after pilots voted to take protected industrial action over a pay deadlockThe Australian Federation of Air Pilots said more than 90 percent of its membership had voted for the action after an unsatisfactory pay offer in September.The AFAP, which represents three-quarters of Tigerair pilots, said flight crew had not had a pay increase in more than two years and accused the company of stalling on new a new enterprise bargaining agreement.The action will take place between December 21 and December 24 and during that time the pilots will adopt three work bans.They will refuse to fly jets with minor, non-safety related (‘deferred’) defects; refuse to start work within 90 minutes of being called in from stand-by; and conduct in-air go-slows by not exceeding certain speeds or taking route short-cuts.“After two years of bargaining, the decision to take protected industrial action was not made lightly,” AFAP industrial officer James Lauchland said.“The industrial action will not be conducted on Christmas Day or Boxing Day, as the federation’s members want to ensure passengers can travel to be with their families and friends”Tigerair is owned by Virgin Australia and operates almost 500 weekly flights to capital cities and holiday destinations.Although the industrial action does not target Christmas Day and Boxing Day, the lead up to Christmas and the days following the break are the busier travel days.A Tigerair spokeswoman said the airline continued to negotiate in good faith and it looked forward to “reaching a mutually beneficial outcome as soon as possible”.Air New Zealand averted a Christmas strike that could have affected the travel plans of more than 100,000 passengers after reaching an agreement this week with unions representing its aircraft maintenance and logistics workers.SEE Relief for 120,000 as Air New Zealand Xmas strike averted.
Related Posts RIM is hampered by its slow development cycle when it comes to QNX. Standard native applications like email and calendar were not present when the tablet first rolled out and the ability to run Android apps through its “app player” is still not ready for public consumption. If RIM released a fully functional BlackBerry tablet with the ability to run Android apps, that would have been a tablet many would have bought. The first QNX-based smartphones are coming out next year, supposedly early in the year with the first prototypes likely to be seen at the Consumer Electronics Show (it would be a big red flag if they were not). RIM cannot allow the problems it faced with the PlayBook to hamper its new line of smartphones. Doing so will put the company on a death spiral from which it will not soon recover. The current BlackBerry OS 7 devices are lame ducks in the development cycle, although they should hang around in the enterprise for some time as hardware replacement cycles are slower than in the consumer realm.No Imminent Demise, But Signs Are TroublingAdd everything up – squabbling execs, QNX woes, sales drops, loss of consumer mind share and the recent technical problems and the signs are there for the death of BlackBerry. Not so fast. RIM is still a huge company and it controls 19% of the U.S. smartphone market. We wrote in July three reasons why RIM should not be counted out. The same principles still apply. That market share has gone down from 24% earlier this year, mostly due to Android. Yet, RIM still has a significant war chest. It may not have the kind of money that Apple does, but multi-billion dollar international companies do not go away overnight. Not even Nokia. RIM can hold on for a long while without being swallowed by Microsoft or liquidating its consumer mobile business. The key will be how the company spreads it resources. Its smartphone mobile browser needs to get better and new devices that look more like what consumers expect from a modern smartphone need to emerge from QNX. RIM has the resources to do this. 2011 has been a bad year for RIM, yes. It also could be seen as a bridge year. The year it suffered through a development slump as it jumped to a new OS. The year it endured turmoil in its aging infrastructure, both in the physical world and its executive ranks. The fork is in front of Research In Motion. One way leads to a Nokia-sized collapse. The other leads to future prosperity and reclaiming a competitive roll against Android and iOS. The question becomes: does RIM have what it takes to pull itself away from the brink? The road is clear if it can take the first step down the path. What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … Tags:#mobile#web dan rowinski Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces Role of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagement It is Monday morning the week after a terrible cycle of news for BlackBerry maker Research In Motion. Its developer conference starts this week in San Francisco, and the company desperately needs some good press after the service outage last week. Two stories emerged this morning concerning RIM, one a concession by the company for the recent outage and another oddly tied to traffic accidents.The fact of the matter is that RIM needs to find a way to pull itself off the mat. Without question, 2011 has been the worst year in the company’s history. Its new devices and development cycle has slowed, the PlayBook tablet was a dud in terms of sales and the cycles of its developer platforms have slowed to a crawl. The executive ranks at RIM have also been in turmoil. If the night is darkest before the dawn, will RIM survive to see another day? “Our global network supports the communications needs of more than 70 million customers,” said RIM Co-CEO Mike Lazaridis in a press release. “We truly appreciate and value our relationship with our customers. We’ve worked hard to earn their trust over the past 12 years, and we’re committed to providing the high standard of reliability they expect, today and in the future.”Traffic In UAE & Free Apps“Our global network supports the communications needs of more than 70 million customers,” said RIM Co-CEO Mike Lazaridis. “We truly appreciate and value our relationship with our customers. We’ve worked hard to earn their trust over the past 12 years, and we’re committed to providing the high standard of reliability they expect, today and in the future.”The first story emerged last night – Abu Dhabi and Dubai police said that there was a 20% decrease in traffic accidents because of the three-day service outage. This story screams of spin, coming from a country that has had diplomatic problems with RIM in the past. The second story crashed every mobile tech reporters’ inbox this morning: RIM is giving away $100 worth of applications to those affected by the outage. The story coming out of the United Arab Emirates is suspect. Without knowing the country’s week-to-week traffic data, it is hard to put it in context. The story notes that traffic accidents among young males went down after the outage. The CTIA wireless organization has made driving while texting one of its two biggest priorities this year but it would be astonishing if one out of every five crashes in Dubai were BlackBerry Messenger or mobile email related. Either way, it is another blow to RIM in its negative press cycle.The concession from RIM to give away applications is also the work of a PR spin machine. More or less, this is the type of thing that should be expected from a large company when it makes a serious gaffe. The selection of apps (which, ironically, includes DriveSafe.ly Pro and Enterprise) will be available from Wednesday Oct. 19 to the end of the year.QNX & The Future Of RIMThe PlayBook has not sold to RIM’s expectations. Earlier this year the company was touting the fact that anybody who owned a BlackBerry (at the time about 55 million worldwide) would love one of RIM’s tablets. Sales have not been equally as upbeat and the PlayBook (like any other non-iPad tablet) has seen a dramatic price reduction. The Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technology
Maybe you’ve finally figured out why you need to incorporate clouds into your thinking. Let’s see: agility, flexibility, cost savings, new business models, etc. Any one of those is likely enough to warrant a hard look at how a cloud can help.At the risk of making life more complicated than it already is, you may want to start the process with a reality check: you will be using multiple cloud providers. Possibly one or more SaaS providers and one or more for IaaS.While you may only use one SaaS provider for, say CRM, you may end using a different provider for say, travel reimbursement management. Then, when the time comes to build your own private IaaS cloud, you may find that you will also need so called burst capability. This, in turn, will cause you to create relationships with one or more external partners to host those IaaS workloads. Some of those partners may implement an extension of your private cloud in their facilities, something I refer to as an “extended private cloud”. Some of the IaaS partners may be public cloud providers such as Amazon, Rackspace, Joyent, etc.Some things to consider in these situations:For the IaaS workloads, you will need to build them in such a way that they can in fact be hosted at multiple providers. This means you may end up maintaining multiple versions of the VM image which are then validated in each of the environments. This sounds bad but there are format conversion tools emerging and you have to do the environment specific validation anyway.When your internal users get ready to deploy a workload into one of the IaaS clouds, which one should they use and what credentials will they use to access that cloud? The cloud selection needs to be implemented based on an IT policy, in turn, implemented in an automation tool. Univa Unicloud is one example of such a tool (there are others). The developer credentials need to be derived from the organization, not from the service provider. Therefore, when the developer gets ready to push a workload to an IaaS or access the application environment, they need to use their corporate credentials but the credentials needed at the cloud vendor will be specific to the cloud vendor. Products such as the Intel Cloud Access 360 can perform this ‘translation’ function (authenticate a developer with corporate credentials but access the cloud using service provider credentials).Not all of your applications will be in your cloud managed environments. Some of the applications will need to remain in their ‘traditional’ enterprise environments. Therefore, we need to put in place the means for the ‘cloud applications’ to securely and transparently access ‘traditional enterprise applications’. One example of solutions in this space is the Citrix Cloud Bridge.Make sure your internal processes (such as help desk) are ready for the complexity of managing these relationships, being able to easily locate workloads, and handle support escalations into multiple providers.If you are a small business, all of this may be overkill. And, there may be another option: AppUp Small Business Service. This is a way for a small business to get access to software solutions with support from a channel partner. The trade-off can be the software solutions you need to keep ‘on-site’ but managed ‘off-site’ vs. SaaS solutions (that are almost always ‘off-site’).These are some of the things to consider. I’m sure there are many more.In any case: start getting ready. Hybrid clouds are coming to an IT shop near you.
MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games PH military to look into China’s possible security threat to power grid Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next BeautyMNL open its first mall pop-up packed with freebies, discounts, and other exclusives ‘A complete lie:’ Drilon refutes ‘blabbermouth’ Salo’s claims Squat thrust: Japan on Olympic drive to get rid of ‘squat’ toilets ‘We cannot afford to fail’ as SEA Games host – Duterte Siniakova, the sixth seed, beat the 30-year-old 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 and will face world number one Simona Halep in the final.Halep cruised into the decider in southern China with a comfortable 6-1, 6-4 victory over fellow Romanian Irina-Camelia Begu.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSharapova was banned for 15 months for taking the performance-enhancing substance meldonium, and has been working her way up the rankings since returning to action, winning the Tianjin Open in October. Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim SEA Games: PH still winless in netball after loss to Thais Jordan delivers on promise: 2 Cobra choppers now in PH View comments LATEST STORIES Maria Sharapova of Russia reacts during her women’s singles quarter-final match against Zarina Diyas of Kazakhstan at the WTA Shenzhen Open tennis tournament in Shenzhen in China’s southern Guangdong province on January 4, 2018. / AFP PHOTO / – / China OUTFormer world number one Maria Sharapova was dumped out in the semi-finals of the Shenzhen Open, losing in three sets to holder Katerina Siniakova of the Czech Republic on Friday.The Russian will return to the top 50 next week with the Australian Open looming at the end of the month, but she failed to reach her second final since returning last April after a drugs ban.ADVERTISEMENT