The timetable for Greyhound UK coach services between Swansea and Cardiff changed from Sunday (5 April), as First Cymru seeks to provide a new, regular service to Cardiff Bay.The majority of journeys on the service provide a connection with Mermaid Quay, while tickets on the service are also being overhauled, with the Cymru Clipper suite of tickets made available to buy on board the coach.In addition, the evening timetable for departures from Cardiff is being adjusted following customer feedback.Chris Davidson, Commercial Development Manager for First Cymru, says: â€œThe fact that we’ll be serving Cardiff Bay more regularly should be a major draw.â€
Stagecoach Group has demonstrated its commitment to the UK Armed Forces by signing a corporate covenant to support the country’s military community.To mark the event and in recognition of National Armed Forces Day on Saturday (27 June), Stagecoach UK Bus is also offering free travel to military personnel on this special day.Uniformed military personnel and veterans wearing their medals are invited to travel free of charge on local services on Friday 26, Saturday 27 and Sunday 28 June.The pledge â€“ which was signed by Stagecoach Group Chief Executive Martin Griffiths â€“ commits the Group to upholding the key principles of the Armed Forces Covenant which include treating all members of the Armed Forces Community with fairness and respect, and supporting military personnel and their families at all times.
Maureen White, 81, died on 5 September. She ran Whites Coaches of St Albans with her husband Roger White from 1960, and remained involved until shortly before her death. She will be much missed.
Legal claims by a London-based bus driver have been rejected on a technicality by a judge following confusion over the correct name of his employer.Ja Jeyasundra believed he was employed by RATP DEV London, which was revealed to be a French-owned holding company. But it was eventually decided at a Watford Employment Tribunal preliminary hearing that Mr Jeyasundra had been employed by London Sovereign since 2007 at the Edgware Garage and not by the French company.He was dismissed for gross misconduct after London Sovereign accused him of breaching company policy over the use of mobile phones and of breaching health and safety issues.He denied the allegations.As a result, Mr Jeyasundra made legal claims for unfair dismissal, disability discrimination and harassment and alleged the firm failed to make adjustments to help him cope with his illness.Tribunal Judge Palmer said the Tribunal had first to decide the correct name of the defendant before deciding whether the case could go ahead.The confusion arose after Mr Jeyasundra said he had worn a uniform with the French name on it. Some documents had also been prepared for the Tribunal hearing under the French name, it was said.London Sovereign opposed the legal claims and claimed they were out of date because they had been registered beyond the Tribunal’s three-month deadline.The Tribunal was told that Mr Jeyasundra had signed contracts both in 2007 and 2008 referring to his employer as London Sovereign, but London Sovereign argued that the name on the early Conciliation Certificate was different to that in the Tribunal claim form and that it had not been a minor error.Judge Palmer said that the letters before the Tribunal referred to London Sovereign but also had the name RATP DEV London.Mr Jeyasundra told the Tribunal that he thought there had been a change in his employer which he had not been told about. He also said said he been given Citizens Advice help but he had been told he had to pay £200 if he wanted further help. “I could not afford the £200,” he said.Judge Palmer said the Tribunal accepted that Mr Jeyasundra had been confused but added that the Tribunal had no jurisdiction to consider his claims further under the circumstances.It is not known if Mr Jeyasundra is to try and make a new legal claim under London Sovereign’s name.
Phil Southall, Oxford Bus Company MD, says: “The award recognises our commitment to innovate and embrace technology to deliver an ever-improving customer experience.” Oxford Bus Company and parent company the Go Ahead Group has been awarded Most Innovative Customer Serving Operator at the European Transport Ticketing Global Awards, following the successful introduction of PickMeUp in Oxford. Phil Southall, Oxford Bus Company Managing Director
Stagecoach South has appointed Rob Vince as its Key Account Manager for its Hampshire, Surrey and West Sussex region.In his new on-the-road role, Rob will be responsible for the client contracts and generating new business through building new relationships.Rob has 15 years of bus industry experience having joined Stagecoach in 2004 as a driver based at its Portsmouth depot, before progressing to positions such as supervisor, revenue protection inspector and operational management roles.Most recently, Rob was Operations Manager at Worthing, a position he has held since 2016.He says: “I am thrilled to be taking on this new role at an exciting time as we focus on developing our offering to key contract clients and seeking opportunities to build new business across the South. I’m looking forward to playing my part in the next stage of the business growth strategy.”
Mark Threapleton, Stagecoach Chief Operating Officer (COO), is to retire from his role in September this year. Stagecoach has recently confirmed that there are succession plans in place for the senior role with a phased transition beginning in May. Mark has spent 40 years in the transport sector. He started in 1976 with South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive and joined Stagecoach as Operations Director in 1995. He stayed with the company for 25 years through a variety of roles before becoming COO in July 2019. Chief Executive Martin Griffiths says: “Mark is a highly respected senior executive in the UK bus industry and a highly regarded member of our team. He has made a significant contribution to the business over more than two decades. “We have already started the process to recruit a successor to ensure there is a smooth transition when Mark retires. We wish him a well-deserved and long retirement with his family when that time comes.” The role will be renamed Stagecoach UK Managing Director. The successful candidate will be confirmed at a later date.
Hanover has invested in the latest collaborative robot – or ‘cobot’ – systems to deliver significant benefits for customers that purchase its destination display technology.It recently completed its second installation of ‘cobots’ to support its approach to bringing market leading innovation across manufacturing and quality control throughout the Hanover business.Hanover introduced its first ‘cobot’ in 2018. It was used to enhance the supplier’s testing capability in partnership with Absolute Robotics. Since then, the technology has proved its worth. It has delivered pinpoint accuracy in the testing of processor and power supply boards, which are produced by the supplier as part of destination display systems.Collaborative robots work alongside teams, interacting with humans in a shared space. They differ from traditional robots, which are designed to operate without human interaction and contact.The ‘cobot’ installation process has been led by Hanover Operations Manager Sean Winter. He says: “’Cobots’ are transforming the way we deliver out testing service. Hanover has always been proud of its ability to provide reliable solutions to the passenger transport sector. That is reflected by the fact that we offer a 10-year warranty as standard.“However, the introduction of ‘cobots’ has taken that to a new level, enabling us to further enhance our testing capability. They work to 50 microns repeatability and produce a report giving full traceability. It details when the product was tested and its test results.”Adds Production Test Engineer Gaurav Bijlani: “The ‘cobots’ have improved our efficiency and processes, thereby creating a continuous improvement culture in collaboration with the quality assurance department to deliver a solution that takes us into the 21st century.“The end result for our clients is even greater reliability, a faster turnaround for orders and the ability to draw on the positive benefits that the ‘cobots’ have delivered for our staff, who have been freed to operate in roles that bring even more innovation and support to the business.”www.hanoverdisplays.com
The study, which will feed into a broader review of the EU’s 1989 TV Without Frontiers Directive, could lead to proposals for overhauling the regulations governing the activities of broadcasters across the Union.The move comes as digital cable and satellite TV services are expanding services massively, with thousands of broadcasting hours a week targeted at children. It also reflects mounting concern that youngsters are increasingly falling under the spell of skilfully targeted advertising campaigns.EU sources say the study will focus on the regulations which member states currently impose on television and media firms, the workings of the Union directive and international codes of conduct regulating the sector. The current EU legislation leaves most of the responsibility for controlling the industry with member states, although it insists that advertising should not cause “moral or physical detriment to minors”. It also states that adverts should not “exhort” children to buy certain goods, or encourage youngsters to pester their parents into buying them.Oreja and his officials have not yet indicated whether they think these rules should be strengthened. But the study’s findings could fuel calls from Sweden and Greece for tougher EU restrictions on commercials aimed at minors.Stockholm has promised to put the issue high on its Union presidency agenda for the first half of 2001, while Athens has so far escaped EU action over national restrictions on toy adverts despite industry claims that they unfairly favour local producers.Another study just published rules out relaxing EU controls on violent and sexually explicit programmes in favour of using technical devives to block them.
Diplomats from both the Finnish and Portuguese foreign ministries met leaders of the biggest opposition groups in Budapest to explore ways of helping those opposed to Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic’s regime.The move was aimed at reversing the setback which the EU suffered last month when Serbian opposition figures failed to turn up for a meeting with Union foreign ministers in Luxembourg in protest at what they saw as one-sided demands from the EU.Union officials said the Budapest talks had focused on how to continue the dialogue between the Union and opposition leaders. But the discussion was dominated by opposition leaders’ calls for a lifting of sanctions on Serbia. Anti-Milosevic groups insist that the international community must end its fuel-supply ban on the country and abolish the embargo on international flights into Serbia. They argue that these measures, which are designed to put economic pressure on the ruling regime, are instead hurting ordinary people who want to get rid of Milosevic.The argument over sanctions has divided the international community. The US and the UK believe that easing the measures would only help Milosevic and his cronies who control most of the economy. But other EU member states are in favour of relaxing the sanctions to ease the hardship suffered by the population.Union officials said that all but one of the main Serbian opposition groups attended the talks, and added that another meeting with ministers could be arranged once there was more common ground between the two sides on the sanctions issue.